Thursday, June 27, 2013

New Way of Life

It's been nearly 3 years since my last post and I am back with a new name and a new way of life.
I changed up the Chicago life for a Colorado life and am a first-time homeowner!  I love my little 1910 Victorian house and all the possibilities it comes with.  


The front yard is surprising me on a daily basis with the leftover landscaping of homeowners past.  So far, in order, I have be delighted with Forsythia bushes, Grape Hyacinth, Japanese Iris, Poppies, Violets and today Tiger Lilies bloomed!  There is still another bush yet to bloom what I am told will be pink flowers.  That's just the front yard!  

The backyard leaves some work to be done but has amazing potential.  I just completed a transplant of what Japanese Iris and Tiger Lily existed back there.  There is an existing garden bed in the back that I am focusing my efforts on preparing the soil for next season.  Later this summer I have a project in mind to build small greenhouses out of old reclaimed windows.  


In the meanwhile I am still itching to grow food so I repurposed an over-the-door shoe organizer to plant various herbs and veggies.  I also scored on a wooden cranberry crate that is now my lettuce bed.  



In other news I have successfully brewed my first batch of kombucha tea, grape flavored, and though the process is quite simple and rewarding I just can't drink that much kombucha....  


I also had a hankering for some English muffins and decided to make them instead of buy them.  The first round, whole wheat, turned out quite delicious but a bit dense.  I am looking forward to the second round with some tweaks.  

I have so many ideas I don't know where to start!  I'm coming up on 2 months of home-ownership and I know that there will be plenty of time for this new way of living!

No comments:

Post a Comment