Sunday, July 28, 2013

Saturday in the Kitchen

I had lofty goals for my Saturday off and I'd say I pretty much pulled them off.  After running errands in the morning, which included a stop at the Farmer's Market, and getting some yard work in before the day got too hot, I set out on a productive day in my kitchen.

English Muffins were first on the list since it would take 2 hours for the dough to rise.  This is the second attempt at English Muffins, albeit the better of the 2 I still have some perfecting to do.  I think my third attempt will involve more of a sourdough method.  For now though this batch will do just fine and I am tickled at the idea that I made them from ingredients I already had on hand.

I also revisited my old friend, the inspiration for this blog, canning yesterday.  I made a batch of the favored Peach Lavender Jam as well as a Blueberry Citrus Jam, which happened to be quite tasty on some of the above mentioned English Muffin fresh from the oven.  The intermittent popping of the seals on the jars makes me giggle like a school girl, every time.  

Somewhere in there I also baked off about 3 1/2 dozen oatmeal raisin cookies and I started a batch of "Old World" Mustard, which will need to be pureed a little later today.

The container garden is doing well and I saw the first signs of cucumbers and a watermelon!


I don't think I will have another Saturday in the kitchen for a week or 2 but I suppose that gives me time to plan my next projects.  It's getting to be about time to start another kombucha...and what if I just went for it and made ricotta?!  We'll just have to wait and see....


No comments:

Post a Comment