Friday, July 2, 2010

I Can Quit Anytime


I'm obsessed with canning almost at an unnatural level. It comes as no surprise really, as any new project I take on becomes everything I eat, sleep, drink and breathe. I spent so many hours shopping online for jars that I dreamed about them that night. Last weekend I spent my day off in my kitchen for 9 straight hours over a stock pot of boiling water and ended with having produced 43 jars of assorted sweets and sours. After putting in full days of work on both Sunday and Monday I promptly jumped into the kitchen afterwards and by Monday's end had yielded 86 jars total. I could finally rest, as everything on my list had been completed.

But I couldn't rest. I had to do more with them. I had to move them, I had to group them, I had to photograph them, I even wondered, "what else could I make?" As I was thumbing through and bookmarking recipes I had to stop myself. I remembered that I didn't have to attempt all the recipes that caught my eye this summer. Sure, Apple Cider Cinnamon Jelly sounds interesting and quick to make but what's the harm in waiting 'til fall when fresh cider is plentiful and in season?

I find myself justifying my jar purchases like an addict justifying a fix. I told a friend I was planning a trip to the hardware store on my day off and she said, "more jars?" Without thinking I said, "just 1 or 2 cases this time." What is happening to me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment