Monday, July 26, 2010

The Making of... The 2nd Installment



To balance out the 2 sweet items we started with I'm going to keep it fair by writing about 2 of the sour items.

Mixed Vegetable Mustard Pickles. I'd been reading about 'mustard pickles' and was intrigued by the use of flour. They also typically call for a fair amount of sugar. At first I wondered if they were another name for 'bread and butter pickles' but recipes for those had slight omissions. In doing my research I discovered that mustard pickles were actually the first form of chow-chow. I was determined to make something with cauliflower and consequently found that the flour-thickened, sweet-but-still-tangy syrup was delicious right off a spoon.

Dilled Baby Carrots. These puppies are simplicity at it's best. The most difficult part about making these was picking the most perfect heads of dill to pack into the jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment