Friday, July 30, 2010

What I Use the "Fancy" Jars For



Everything I preserve is done in the jar best suited for it. I already tested a few batches of both pickled green beans and pickled asparagus and when I found extra tall jars I just KNEW what they had to be used for.

I'm particularly pleased with the results of the pickled asparagus. The biggest revelation with this batch was packing the spears in the jars with the tips pointing downward. In previous batches I found that the tips poke up to the top and donn't stay submerged in the brine. An interesting note about when I made these is that while they were cooling the vinegar caused a reaction and all of the petals turned a bright red.

Here are my 'lemon spiced bean pickles'; I used both green and yellow wax beans and there is lemon rind tucked in. I kept the pigeon-deterring spikes in the shot because I felt they reinforced the URBAN in Urban Preserver. I'm also proud to say that these were a huge success with children. Well, OK, one child.

I think the shape and size of a jar adds character to what's inside and ultimately what gives something that extra personal touch. Consider the Jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment